In between the Himalaya and the Bay of Bengal lies the Indian state of West Bengal. This state is widely known all over the world for its largest mangrove forest, the Sunderbans and the royal Bengal tiger. This state is surrounded by Bangladesh in the east and Nepal and Bhutan in the north. The capital of this state is Kolkata (formerly known as Calcutta) and is the 7th largest city in the country. The state has a rich cultural heritage and is also known for its sports enthusiasm.
Prediction of West Bengal Population for the year 2019
West Bengal is the fourth most-populated Indian state. According to a national evaluation conducted in the year 2011, the population of the state was around 91 million. Taking a look at the previous 5 years population data, we can predict an estimated population for the year 2019.
2014 –93.7 million
2015 –94.1 million
2016 – 94.9 million
2017 – 95.41 million
2018 – 95.8992 million
Studying the pattern gives us an idea that the population of West Bengal is increasing at the rate of 0.4832 million per year. Increasing in the same manner, the population for the year 2019 will be 95.8992 +0.4832= 96.3824 million.
Demography of West Bengal
The population of West Bengal contributes 7.8% of the population of India. Hindu community is the predominant community in the state while the Marwari, Maithili and Bhojpuri non-Bengali minorities are scattered throughout the state. The literacy rate for the state is more than 77% which is greater than the literacy rate of India (approx. 74%). The life expectancy of the state (approx. 70 years) is also higher than that of the country (68 years approx.). Talking about the language of the people, the main languages are: Bengali, Hindi, Santali, Urdu, and Nepali (in the order of highest to lowest number of speakers).
Population Density and Growth of West Bengal
The population density for the state of West Bengal has crossed the mark of 1000. The total area of the state is around 88, 752 sq. km. with an approx. density of more than 1030/sq. km. The economy of the state is also increasing along with the time. West Bengal has the sixth largest economy in the country with the main dependency on agriculture and medium-sized industry. Apart from this, there are heavy industries also that play a significant role in the economic growth of the state. The West Bengal Industrial Development Corporation (WBIDC) has also set up 12 growth centers for medium and large scale industries, for software technology, electronics, and export processing.
Facts about West Bengal
- The state of West Bengal has a rich literary heritage and a long tradition of folk literature and is the home of personalities like Rabindranath Tagore and workplace of reformers like Swami Vivekananda, Raja Ram Mohan Roy, Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar, etc.
- The state was also home to religious teachers, such as Paramahansa Yogananda, Chaitanya, Ramakrishna, Prabhupada, etc.
- The art films of the Bengali film industry are widely popular and the state is the hometown of several acclaimed directors.
- The state also has a rich heritage in North Indian classical music with ‘Rabindrasangeet’ and ‘Nazrul geeti’ being the most popular.
- The state shows an intense celebration of five-day-long colorful Hindu festival Durga Puja.