Mizoram is one of the northeastern states of India with Aizawl as its capital. It is a state of unending beauty and natural biodiversity. The word Mizoram means the “land of Mizos”, where Mizo is the name of the native inhabitants of Lushari Hills/Mizoram. Just like many other northeastern states, Mizoram was also used to be a part of Assam until 1972. It was created as a union territory in the year 1972 and later given full statehood on the 20th February 1987.
Population of Mizoram in 2019
As per the census of 2011, the population of Mizoram is 1,091,014 out of which 552,339 are males and 538,675 are females.
We can have an idea of Mizoram’s population for the year 2019 by analyzing the population of the state in previous years. The population of Mizoram in last six years is mentioned the table below
|Year||Population of Mizoram|
As we can see in the table, the population is increasing every year by the average of 0.074 million people every year. Hence, the population of Mizoram in 2019 is estimated to be 1.58 million +0.074 million = 1.654 million people.
Demography of Mizoram
The sex ration of Mizoram is 976 females per 1000 males which is higher than the national average of 940. As per the census of 2011, the literacy rate of Mizoram is very good with 91.33% of the state’s population is literate. The literacy rate of Mizoram is second best among all Indian states. Around 52% of the total population of Mizoram lives in the urban areas, this is better than the national average. More than 33% of state’s population lives in the Aizawl area, which is the capital city of the state.
Population Density and Growth of Mizoram 2019
The population density of Mizoram is very low with just 52 persons per square kilometer. According to 2011 census Mizoram has a population of 10, 91,014 people with 5, 52,339 males and 5, 38,675 females. The state has seen a 22.8% population growth rate since 2001 but still, it is 2nd least populous state of India. The population growth rate of Mizoram is 3rd highest among the northeastern states. Overall population growth rate of India is 17.6%
Facts about Mizoram:
- The climate of Mizoram is very mild and pleasant. The state receives a lot of rainfall and climate pattern is moist tropical to subtropical.
- The general population of Mizoram has developed their unique blend of Music. The traditional Mizo music is very popular.
- In order to visit Mizoram, Tourists requires an “inner line permit” from the Liaison Officer, Government of Mizoram.
- There are three main festivals of Mizoram known as Chapchar Kut, Pawl Kut, and Mim Kut. All the festivals revolve around the cultivation of Jhum.
- Mizoram is also very famous for Mizo art and craft items. The cane and bamboo furniture of Mizoram is known for its innovative design.